Welcome to Year 5!
5 Craufurd – Mrs Wellings
5 Field – Mrs Smith
with support from Mrs Graham
PE - kit needed on Monday and Wednesday each week. Hair must be tied back and earrings removed.
Water bottles - please bring fresh water from home each day.
Reading books – children can bring in a suitable book from home to read as well as their Reading Planet book, which should be in each day with reading record books.
Mathletics – Regular tasks will be set on Mathletics, based on current learning in Maths.
TTRockStars – This is a great way to practise times tables.
Rising Stars Reading Planet – Access the books on line and complete the quizzes.
Our topic this half term is:
During this topic, our primary focus will be based around the theme of sustainability. We will be looking at the geology of the UK compared to other parts of the world and considering the availability of fossil fuels. We will consider the impact of using fossil fuels compared to using renewable energy sources. In science, we will be completing the unit, 'Changing Materials'. In English, we will be using our research to create non-chronological reports.
In RE, we will be asking the questions, 'Why is Eid important to Muslims?' and 'How is religion portrayed in the news?' We will be learning about Ramadan as the lead up to Eid, which this year will begin in the evening of 12th May and will end in the evening of 13th May. We will be looking out for news coverage to allow us to debate the media coverage of this important event.
In Maths this half term, Year 5 will cover:
- Number: Decimals and Percentages
- Properties of shape
In English this half term, Year 5 will cover:
- Non-chronological reports
- Discussion texts
Please continue with the following:
- Reading!! Enjoy a book, read about places you visit or research our topic.
- Practise your times tables.
- Writing: You might like to write a diary, send a postcard, make up a quiz to test your family or friends, write a story or copy from a book to work on your handwriting.
- Continue learning the Year 5/6 spelling list.
Suggested Additional Activities:
- Research how different fossil fuels were formed. Do you remember our visit to The Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust in Year 3?
- Can you spot solar panels in your local area?
- Find out how a wind farm is built - what patterns would you see from above? Where are wind farms located and why? How does a wind turbine generate electricity?
- Get creative! Could you come up with a 'Cracking Contraption' for using other weather types to generate electricity?
- Watch the Disney film 'Moana'. What does this tell you about how we should use natural resources carefully.
- Read 'The Promise' by Nicola Davies - perhaps leave this for a week or two as we will be looking at this book at school too.
- Read the book 'Greta's Story'.
- Look at how you recycle at home - could you make any improvements? Suggest any ideas to your family and encourage a change.
- Visit a farm or a farmers market.
- Visit the Botanical Gardens in Birmingham.
- Visit the Birmingham and Black Country Eco Park in Birmingham
Use these links for further information and ideas
Rye Market – zero waste shop https://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/18017930.first-zero-waste-shop-open-stourbridges-ryemarket-centre/